Guardianship Lawyers – We Help Ensure That Loved Ones are Protected

Whether because of age, illness, disability, or the death of a parent, sometimes an individual is incapable of taking care of his or her own affairs.   In these situations it is sometimes necessary for a person to have a guardian appointed to take care of his or her affairs.

Do I Need to Be Appointed a Guardian if my Loved One is Already Living With Me?

The answer to this question is “yes.”  Guardianship provides the guardian with the authority to take many actions on behalf of the loved one (referred to as the “ward”).  In instances in which the ward is an elderly parent, the guardian (often an adult child) will be able to make decisions concerning medical and other care for the parent, as well as everyday actions in which legal authority to act is required (like signing and depositing social security checks).  We have assisted many grandparents with the guardianship of their grandchildren as well.

Can a Court-Ordered Guardianship be Avoided?  

In many instances with adults, the answer is “yes.”  All adults should execute healthcare directives and general durable powers of attorney that will become effective if they become disabled and cannot make decisions on their own.  If such documents are not executed prior to the incapacitation, court-ordered guardianship may be necessary.   If such documents have previously been executed prior to any the persons designated in the applicable documents will be vested with the authority provided to make those decisions for you, and usually no court action is required.  

If Your Family Has a Loved One in Need of Legal Guardianship, Please Contact Our Firm.  

We understand that you may have many questions about guardianship; we’ll be there to answer your questions and to help you better provided for your loved one.